The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services have just declared that the monekypox outbreak is now a public health emergency and as the cases rise, you should take some precautions to help avoid coming into contact with someone infected with monkeypox.
Below are some ways to help reduce your risk of contracting monkeypox, brought to you by ABC 7.
- avoid close or skin-to-skin contact with someone who might have monkeypox.
- avoid sharing towels, clothing and bed linens.
- wash hands with soap and water or use hand sanitizer that is alcohol based.
- cover up because being fully clothed could be safer especially when you are in large crowds.
- disinfect surfaces
- if you can, get vaccinated and check with your healthcare provider.
- keep yourself updated on any new information about the monkeypox outbreak